Superintendent: Racquel Showers
See General Rules and Junior Livestock Rules. Absolutely no Poultry will be allowed on grounds except those entered in competition.
All Poultry MUST be checked in on Wednesday between 6:00 and 8:00 PM.
1. Poultry entered should come from a Pullorum FREE flock or be tested per NPIP.
2. Entry Fee: Market Meat Pen $10.00, Breeding Pen $4.50, Single Bird $2.00
3. Exhibitor must furnish their own cups for water or feed. Exhibitor MUST keep their pen and surrounding area clean and animals properly fed and watered at all times and by 10:00 am at the latest daily. Exhibitor must place pen cleanings in the designated area. Exhibitors are responsible for the Daily Care, showing, and selling of their poultry, unless otherwise approved by the superintendent.
4. Exhibitors will be allowed to post ribbons on coops after judging is completed on poultry of all breeds.
5. Exhibitor categories shall be as follows:
- A. Junior Poultry Entries (4-H and FFA Only) Single Bird, Breeding Pen, Market Meat Poultry. ONLY Junior Market Meat Poultry Entries are eligible for the Jr. Livestock Sale. ONLY Grand Champion Market Meat Poultry will sell at the Jr. Livestock Auction.
- B. Open Division Entries: Single Bird, Breeding Pen, Market Meat Poultry.
NO Open Division entry including Market Meat Poultry will be eligible for Jr.
6. Any Poultry entered in the Junior Division will not be eligible to enter or show in the Open Division. Any Poultry entered in the Open Division will not be eligible to enter or show in the Junior Division.
7. Single Bird and Breeding Poultry must be owned and cared for by exhibitor by June 1 of current year. Single Bird and Breeding Pen Poultry entries are NOT eligible to compete in ANY Poultry Market Meat Class. Single and Breeding Pen Poultry are NOT eligible for the Jr. Livestock Auction.
8. Breeding Pen shall consist of 3 chickens (2 females and 1 male). These must be shown as young or old pens. A mixed pen or young and old will be excluded. Birds entered as a breeding pen cannot compete in a single bird classification, except for championships. Turkeys, geese, and ducks are excluded. Birds entered as breeding pens cannot compete in the Market Meat Poultry classifications.
9. Young Pen: One cockerel and two pullets. Old Pen: One cock and two hens. All birds in pen must be same variety.
10. The terms cock, hen, cockerel, pullet are defined as follows: Cock: a male bird hatched prior to January 1sr of current year, Hen: a female bird hatched prior to January 1 of current year, Cockerel: a male bird hatched during this year, Pullet: a female bird hatched during the year. An old duck, drake, goose, gander and tom are defined as those hatched before January 1 of the current year. A young duck, drake, goose, gander, and tom are those hatched after January 1 of the current year.
11. Turkeys, geese, ducks, or any other game birds will be in a class called Game Birds and will complete against each other for premiums. Game Birds will be shown as singles
12. Any breed or variety recognized by the American Bantam Association and the American Poultry Association is eligible to be shown even if that class is not listed.
13. Classes will be determined by the superintendent and follow the NM State Fair class rules.
14. No person will be permitted to handle exhibits during judging without permission of show official. Any person interfering with judge or judging in any way will cause his/her exhibits to be disqualified.
15. Open Division: Every one of all ages is invited to bring their animals for exhibit. This applies to commercial or registered breeders. If there is sufficient entries these animals will be judged and awarded ribbons according to their placements. Open Division entries are not eligible for sale in the Jr. Livestock Auction.
16. Positively no diseased stock will be admitted to the show. Any stock arriving sick will be returned to the owner or placed in quarantine. Birds will be inspected daily and any birds showing signs of contagious diseases will be removed or placed in quarantine.
17. No exhibit unworthy of an award shall receive one, even though there is no competition, nor shall any exhibit receive an award greater than its merits justify.
18. A cleaning fee of $25.00 will be assessed to exhibitor for unclean pens
19. Poultry Show and Showmanship will be on Thursday, IMMEDIATLY following the Rabbit Show and Showmanship, in the show ring. Contestants MUST wear long sleeved white shirts. JUNIOR SHOWMANSHIP ENTRY FEE: $2.00 See Herdsman & Showmanship Rules.
Showmanship classes will be as follows:
- A. Junior Showmanship: Ages 9-13, Senior Showmanship: Ages 14 and above. Each Junior & Senior winner will receive a belt pin. See Showmanship Rules. Junior & Senior Showmanship is for 4-H and FFA members only.
- B. Pee Wee Showmanship: Ages 5-9 (9 years and not enrolled in 4-H or FFA) years of age. If there are sufficient entries these participants will be judged. Pee Wee Showmanship will be held on Thursday, after the Jr. Rabbit and Poultry Shows and Showmanship. Pee Wee Showmanship entry fee: None. All Pee Wee Showmanship entries must sign in with the superintendent by 9:00 am on Thursday. Pee Wee Showmanship availability will be determined by the Superintendent.
20. ONLY GRAND CHAMPION JUNIOR MARKET MEAT PEN WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE JUNIOR LIVESTOCK SHOW. ANY GRAND CHAMPION JUNIOR MARKET MEAT PEN MAY SELL ANOTHER MARKET ANIMAL
21. The Catron County Fair Association and/or the Catron County Fair Board Directors will not be responsible for any loss or damage or injury to poultry exhibited, or for any article of any kind or nature that may be lost or destroyed. The Catron County Fair and/or the Catron Country Fair Board Directors will not be responsible or liable for any injury or loss of or damage to property sustained in any way to exhibitors or spectators.
Premiums will be paid to a maximum of four Places. If there are less than four entries, premium paid only to first place.
Grand Champion Breeding Pen and Single $20.00
Reserve Grand Champion Breeding Pen and Single $10.00
1 Place $5.50 2 Place $4.50 3 Place $3.50
4 Place $2.50
If you wish to take your poultry exhibit to State Fair, please check with the State Fair Book at the Catron County Extension Office.
MARKET MEAT PEN
See General Rules, Junior Livestock Rules and Division rules.
1. Entry Fee: $10.00
2. Pen shall consist of three (3) birds approximately 35 – 70 (5 weeks min. - 1o weeks Max.) days old. Minimum weight 3 ½ pounds . Birds may be weighed in presence of the judge.
3. ONLY GRAND CHAMPION JUNIOR MARKET MEAT PEN WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE JUNIOR LIVESTOCK SALE! ANY GRAND CHAMPION JUNIOR MARKET MEAT PEN MAY SELL ANOTHER JUNIOR MARKET ANIMAL. OPEN DIVISION ENTRIES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR SALE IN THE JUNIOR LIVESTOCK AUCTION.
will be paid to a maximum of four places. If there are less than four
entries premium will be paid only to first place.
Grand Champion $20.00
Reserve Grand Champion $10.00
1 Place $5.50 2 Place $4.50
3 Place $3.50 4 Place $2.50